Creation has inertia. When we’ve stopped making new things for whatever reason, it can be brutally hard to get moving again.
Hard – but not impossible. Here are some tools we use in the #CreateIt22 community.
- For all creators:
- Make sure you’re filling your well. You need to be taking in creative things – stories, music, art. Humans put out what we take in; if you want to make good art, you have to take in good art.
- Give yourself permission to create garbage. You make new things because you LOVE whatever it is you’re trying to create – that kind of story, that kind of song, that particular poetic meter. It’s okay that what you make won’t be that at first. Having a messed-up lump of clay means you can punch it down and reform it until it’s what you wanted the first time.
- Don’t struggle alone! ALL of us have been where you are. Come join our community in Discord, Twitter and Instagram. Let us help you get your creative mojo back.
- For writers:
- Character not talking to you? Interview them (loads of examples like this online to guide your interview), or put them in a new, weird place to get their reaction. A pissed-off character is still a reaction, and one you can use to get them communicating again.
- Don’t know what to write next? Then deliberately write the WRONG thing. When you do, you’ll find you have a much better idea what the next step is. Your cruel space emperor would never in a million years go to an ice cream shop in summer in Maine? Well, then that’s where you send him. His response will help you figure out where to go next.
- Writing prompts! The Write Practice has an AMAZING collection.
- For artists:
- Start with the basics. A flower. A face you’ve drawn a thousand times. Remind yourself why you love to draw that thing.
- Copy. No, it’s not theft as long as you aren’t selling it. Copy what you like, fall in love with the lines, and in the process, refine your own style a little.
- Switch up your style or your tools. Try something absolutely new, and accept that your first attempts will be terrible. Terrible is good – it’s better than nothing.
You are not alone. Take one step, and create ONE new thing today. You’ll be glad you did.Don't know what to write? Write the WRONG thing. #CreateIt22 is about inertia, and that means creating every day. Even putting down the wrong thing WILL make you stronger as a creator. Click To Tweet